allgo’s cultural arts program nurtures, explores, and promotes queer people of color aesthetics. We are committed to providing spaces for us to create, to tell our own stories through artistic expression, to unleash the power of art as activism.
For over a decade, we have been developing cutting-edge programs that engage community members on pressing issues through the arts. We provide the space and resources — and audiences — for diverse artists from all genres of visual and performing arts to develop their art. In conjunction, we offer opportunities for community members to participate in and experience art that reflects our experiences and illuminates our struggles and resilience.
The core of our cultural arts program is our showcase Artist-in-Residence program. As part of every cultural arts season, we present workshops, performances and/or exhibits, and dialogues with our Artist-in-Residence.
We invite you to come experience the joy and empowerment of co-creation and the embrace of our supportive community of artists, performers, and general allgo members.
This program nurtures both established and emerging artists in their respective artistic processes by supporting the development of and/or producing their work. As part of their Artist-in-Residency, artists offer multiple ways for community members to engage with them and their work:
- Performances/Exhibits focus on affirming and celebrating our communities’ diverse cultural experiences and identities.
- Workshops provide various forms of artistic skills-building sessions that include creative writing, performance, playwriting, photography, and visual arts. Workshops are conducted by Artists-In-Residence as well as by other guest artists.
- Artist/Community Dialogues actively engage community members around various topics related to the arts.
- Publishing: Queer Codex: Rooted is an unapologetically sex-positive queer people of color project aimed at creating a non-censured space for LBGT voices. Available at Resistencia Bookstore and BookWoman. Queer Codex: Chile Love is a poetry anthology by queer men of color, edited by Lorenzo Herrera y Lozano. amniotic/flow, by Sharon Bridgforth & Sonja Perryman, features the mother-daughter team blending sung and spoken vocal arrangements/with original music; articulating the soulful journey of a lesbian mother-straight daughter-black wy’mn growing. Available at CDbaby.com.
Former allgo Artists-in-Residence include:
- Seyi Adebanjo
- Adelina Anthony
- Sharon Bridgforth
- D’ Lo
- Dino Foxx
- Virginia Grise
- Lorenzo Herrera y Lozano
- Floyd Johnson
- Dr. Omi Osun Joni L. Jones
- Annelize Machado
- Nappy Grooves (Matt Richardson, Nia Hamilton, and Patricia Hemphill)
- Q Ragsdale
- Karen F. Sanders
- The late Ana Sisnett
- Tim’m West
- Marvin K. White
- Ni’Ja Whitson
- Shay Youngblood